Saturday, August 07, 2010

Time warp.

Where did July go? Like, seriously, I turned my back on it for one minute and then it was gone! This whole summer has gone by so fast, probably helped by the fact that I've been running around like crazy for most of it doing school work and stuff for the wedding.

We're a little over a month away from the wedding (5 weeks today!) and I'm still calm and composed. Though I did go a bit insane in the makeup aisle at Shoppers today, insisting that I needed about two dozen different shades of bronze eyeshadow for my "look." I am going to be so fucking pretty.

Since TdF finished, the spinning action chez KtYT has slowed down considerably. There has, however, been an interesting development as of late: a good friend who is a cabinetmaker and woodworker has been improving his work on the lathe recently, and thinks he'd like to turn his hand at making a drop spindle or two, perhaps even starting up a little business. We met this week and talked spinning and I showed him the more technical aspects of drop spindling and he's started drafting out a few designs. He loves working with exotics and lately he's been making segmented bowls and cups with a high-polish finish, and he thinks he could work elements of that into his spindle design. In the meanwhile, I'll help him with the physics of it all, making sure the balance and weight is consistent and that there's a nice, sustained spin. So hopefully sometime after the wedding myself and my spinning buddies might have a little bit of testing to do, and hopefully help with the launch of a new spindle business.

In non-spinning news, I durrped my way through my first Zimmerman pattern: a February baby sweater. Not *too* many mistakes, considering how cryptic her pattern-writing was. It's a classic piece, though, and every baby should wear one. Hopefully the recipient, a co-worker, won't pop quite yet so I have time to seam the sleeves. Pics to follow, assuming the weather stays as lovely as it has been for the past few days: 24, sunny, with a cool breeze. Pray it stays this way for the entire month of August and right up through September 11th. Then it can get as hot as it bloody well wants and I won't care. Though the poor baby swaddled in wool might.

No comments:

Post a Comment