Thursday, July 14, 2011

Alive!

I am still alive, honest. Still knitting and spinning, although I haven't been cataloguing all my projects. Too lazy, too overworked, too...whatever.

The first year of my PhD is over and I swear it nearly killed me. I took a TA position on top of a whole whack of terrible, terrible courses and by April I was slitting my wrists with unmarked student exams. The teaching experience was fantastic and the course was brilliant and the students were wonderful and I got some very positive feedback but holy wow, is it ever time-consuming. I have applied to work in the same course again, but I've also applied for a course that's actually in my field, and although I feel a sense of loyalty to my original course I think if given the chance I'd like to work in Medieval History. Fingers crossed. Chances are the History department will make the decision for me anyhow.

It is summer, I am on vacation (read: unemployed) and slowly frittering away my savings in anticipation of my contract in September. Married life continues to be blissful, domestic life is cozy and full of cat hair, and we are planning on moving later this fall, hopefully out to the Beaches where there are trees and water. At the end of August I am heading up to the Bancroft area with my parents-in-law to stay at a rented cottage with them for a week and I plan on bringing a few knitting and spindling projects to enjoy while I stare out at some calm Muskoka waters and breathe in the piney air.

Life is pretty good when it's full of coffee and fibre and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment