Saturday, July 10, 2010

TdF finished projects.

It has been a pretty productive week for spinning! Keeping up with the TdF crowd is tough, but I've managed to finish or nearly finish a couple of projects I've had on the go for a bit.

I'm almost done my very first handspun sock yarn! It's a chain-plied sw BFL from Corgi Hill Farm. I plied and finished the first 2 or so ounces before the Tour began.
I started on the remaining fleece just the other day (Thursday, maybe?) and finished spinning them up while I was at work last night. Tonight, we ply!


I also finished my four ounces of falkland from Pigeonroof Studios. I've never spun falkland before, but I quite liked it: it has a long-ish staple, but it's not quite as coarse as the corriedale I was spinning last year. It's also quite crimpy, too, and is deliciously squishy once it is spun up. Ms. R. suggested I spin it from the fold, which I sort of regret not doing, but even spinning it with a short draw, worsted-style, it wound up fairly sproingy. I did a true three-ply by splitting the length of top into relatively equal thirds and spinning each, and I had very little leftover. I finished it by giving it a hot water bath and letting the water cool, then doing a short cold-water soak, and then thwacking it a bit so it fulled a little, and I'm pleased with the result. If I were to spin this colourway again, though, I think I would two-ply it because some of the nuances of the colour are a bit lost. Here's the original braid of top as it came


and here's the finished skein:


It's still pretty and I am still happy with it, but the green sort of overpowers everything else and I think I would have liked to have seen a bit more colour definition. Up close, though, it is super pretty. Oh well, another excuse to keep buying PRS fibres. Next time I see this colourway posted, I'm going to snatch it all up <3

No comments:

Post a Comment